Saturday, August 14, 2010

13th Myth or Reality?


Photo PJ 2010

I have always been skeptical to the alleged unluckiness' of Friday the 13th day and of the number in general, I have never myself experienced any mishaps happening on Friday the 13th, and I have yet to meet anyone whom have actually been able to tell me a story that would prove it to be so, still fear of the number 13 or Triskaidekaphobia is one a fairly common phobias, btw the phobia for Friday the 13th is called paraskevidekatriaphobia.

On the other hand if something ever where to happen on Friday the 13th I would remember it just because of the very nature of the superstition, I have had a few accidents happen in my life on other days, but neither one of these I remember the date, or even what day of the week it was. Unless it happened on a day special to me.

I have some friends back in Norway that believed fully in the dangers of Friday the 13th, and would do whatever they could to avoid doing anything that might put them in danger, even staying away from work, and make sure they would not need to go to the store. When I think about it these were also the same that build their whole day around newspaper horoscopes, which I would put it being a bit extreme superstitious since those horoscopes in general are too generic to be of any real use.

I found it interesting when I realized that in some countries, like in the US they even removed the 13th floor out of buildings and when I realized that planes miss the 13th row, in order to avoid scaring those with the real phobia of the number. Still, in Hawaii some buildings do actually have a 13th floor.

What my friends really do for Friday the 13th is take advantage of it  Since they found it they could get much cheaper tickets, on almost empty planes this day. So far they have only shared the great luck and advantages they had from this day, I would love to hear examples of 13th related accidents or mishaps though.

There is no doubt that one could have bad luck on Friday the 13th, since the mass psychology of it changes a large number of peoples behavior, and some might even end up in the very accidents they might try to avoid because they are too afraid of making mistakes. So keep yourself safe, as you should on any other day of the year.
 ------------------------------------------------------------------ 
Remember to check out our Paranormal Corner Online Store and if you have story you would like us to look into for posting in our blog contact us at waikikiblogboi@gmail.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------

5 comments:

  1. I BELIEVE IN THE SUPERSTITION I DON'T GO ANYWHERE ON THIS DAY I STAY HOME. I REALLY DON'T HAVE GOOD LUCK TO BEGIN WITH,BUT I STAY AWAY AND I DO AVOID DOING THINGS ON THIS DAY...I AM A SENSITIVE SO I GET ALOT OF VIBES FROM THINGS THAT WILL POSSIBLY HAPPEN..HAVE A GREAT DAY...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I tend to get a laugh out of people who buy into this day as being unlucky... however, I did lose my father on October 13th 2006, yes it was Friday the 13th…Look it up. It bothered me because the doctor was explaining discharge instructions to my dad and did not notice until he was done talking, that my father was dead. Then of course, his funeral and burial was a total nightmare, because he had so much wrong with him that the doctors could not pinpoint the exact cause of death, not because he died on Friday the 13th. It seems to me that the more advanced human kind becomes, the more willing we are to assume we deserve bad things, and the more we believe we will go out in some sort of bitter, overly thought out, fiery, unrealistic, nightmarish way. I guess all human kind will meet up again in hell.
    Again, my father passed away on Friday October 13th 2006, did he die on that day because it was Friday the 13th? Or did he die that day because he had spent the prior 5-6 years suffering from cancer, heart disease, emphysema, fibro, and other various disorders, which caused so much pain he could hardly get out of bed in the morning and his life was a LIVING hell. Seems to me that was the luckiest day in his long and miserable existence, 5 years is an eternity when pain rules your life. Prior to that, I landed my first job on Friday the 13th. It was nothing big, just a job as a server, but I was 15 when it happened, and to me it was better than anything I could have imagined at the time, FINALLY I was employed and could buy whatever I wanted without having to beg my parents for money.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far so good. No Romans came to arrest me last night, and it is 2:30 EST- no crown of thorns and no crucifixion is in sight- I think I'll survive yet another Friday the 13th.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As the owner of a black cat and a broken mirror, I feel strongly that I am immune to superstitions (or at very least SHOULD be excluded from the list).

    ReplyDelete
  5. my daughter turned one on friday the 13th(2006) and I just bought a house this year with the # 13...I guess superstition is what you make of it! I also have a black cat and his the best cat ever!! Now she's 14 yrs old...btw I did go on some ghost hunting experience and loved it! But we always made sure our crew had protection with them and if we had a bad feeling, we made them get out...

    ReplyDelete

World